Choose Kindness

This quote jumped to me today. It’s not an always easy thing to do – be kind. Small thingsĀ frustrate us – a car cuts us off, a parent writes us a mean email, a student pushes our limits.

This has been a hard week. I had three people close to me receive awful, life changing news. And the thing is – they are keeping these things fairly private right now. Their coworkers don’t know, strangers don’t know, everyday people they interact with have no idea what they are going through. These everyday people may not choose to be kind to them, especially if my friends rightfully aren’t in the best moods this week.

I remember when my family was going through a difficult time and I was suddenly awakened to the small complaints people make everyday (I’m guilty of these, too!). As I heard peopleĀ complain about small problems I felt angry. Angry that they were complaining about trivial things when there are much bigger problems people are struggling with.

This week was a refresher for me that I need to make a constant effort to choose kindness. I need to complain less and spend more time being grateful.

Next time I feel annoyed at a rude parent email or a misbehaving student, I need to remember that I have no idea what they are going through and my kindness could make all the difference.

4 Comment

1. bham teach says: Reply

This is a good reminder for all of us that people have burdens that can effect their interactions with others. It is often the student who is acting out the most who has the greatest burdens and is just trying to get through the day the best way that they can. You must have read the book Wonder by R.J. Palacio which contains Mr. Browne’s September precept: “When given the choice between being right or being kind, choose kind.” ~Dr. Wayne W. Dyer

2. Eliza Earhart says: Reply

I also love to (and have to remind myself to) thank those little (or big) annoyances for what they will teach me. A rude parent is another place to practice my communication skills; a misbehaving student teaches me patience. And when the day is done, you get to celebrate!

3. Sarah Valter says: Reply

I recently got to hear Kristin Ziemke speak, and the thing she said that has just stuck with me is “don’t judge someone’s story by the chapter you come in on.” Everyone has parts of their story that they don’t always share with others, and as you’ve said it so well here, kindness can make all the difference. I know your friends who are going through difficult times know what a kind and caring person you are.

4. Lisa L2L4L says: Reply

I love this – and loved reading the other comments. We surely don’t know what is happening in the lives of others, do we? Thanks for the very timely reminder to be aware of choosing to spread kindness and positivity! I can tell you are the type of friend who will be sought out as your friend face their challenges. {{Hugs}}