Bad Day Turned Around

I woke up late. It was rainy and I just wanted to go back to bed. I rushed to get everything in the crockpot and get to work.

I felt organized and ready for the day. I was carefully explaining the math test to my students, when my principal appeared at my door with a young girl. Uh oh, I thought.

“Ms. Krueger, we have a new student for you,” my principal stated with a guilty look.

I instantly felt frazzled and stressed. I smiled at her and had a student give her a tour as I frantically tried to get things together for her. My second new student this past month. Stressed.

I went to a meeting on state testing prep and felt more stress.

One of my students decided to kick another. One of the girls cussed at another. More stress.

It felt like it was just going to be one of those days.

Then, at lunch I walked in to this surprise:

My teammate’s student teacher had brought each of us our favorite candy, signed with a note of something he would remember about us and a gift card. I laughed at mine (a joke among my team at my amazing, yet scary skill to track down people on social media) and smiled that he remembered me talking about how much I love Sprees a few weeks ago. Each of us was touched by his thoughtfulness and amazing listening through our lunch conversations. He even brought us fresh baked chocolate chip cookies!

And suddenly the day felt like a good one. It’s amazing what the small, kind gestures of people can do for your attitude!

8 Replies to “Bad Day Turned Around”

1. Sarah Valter says: Reply

That’s so sweet! It’s amazing how even the smallest gesture can just completely change your day. Glad it improved!

2. What a nice finish for a day that did not start well.

3. How thoughtful of the student teacher!

4. A seriously sweet ending to a rather stressful day! I am going to make it my mission to listen just a bit closer to those I work with so that I might have that same opportunity to bring them a bit of happiness for no other reason than just because. Thank you for the inspiration!

5. and so the day turned into a good one.. Who could ask for more?

6. I love coming back in my room to find little surprises like this. At least it ended on a sweet note.

7. Rita DiCarne says: Reply

So true. Even the smallest gesture can brighten your day. I need to remember that and surprise my colleagues and family in little ways.

8. Lehua Gerboc-Naulangi says: Reply

Sweet (in more ways than one)! I love how one small act of kindness (though this was a pretty big act) can impact someone else in such a huge way! Thanks for sharing!